Friday, June 4, 2010

21st Anniversary











Another blogger told me about this anniversary demonstration of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. I got there early and before I even got to Victoria Park, there were people commemorating the day. At the park, more protestors with t-shirts for sale or just soliciting funds as well informational booths on the way to the main event, the roped off area with a stage. Maybe I was too tired by that point, I am still dealing with some residual jetlag but all of a sudden I felt like I was intruding, like I was at a family funeral of a mere acquaintance. I could also feel the emotion and the unity--it brought back memories of the days when I was more active politically.






The crowd was growing bigger and bigger and I was swimming against the current trying to leave, I wasn't the only one, but we were definitely the minority. But I managed to push my way thru the crowd and head out. It wasn't even dark yet so the main event, the candlelight vigil hadn't started. Even at the MTR station, I could see more and more people were still coming. I was already impressed, and even though I didn't stay, I am glad to have been there to see it for myself.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pics! I don't think I could have handled the packed crowds either, but I think I would have enjoyed the pre-vigil gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) duriandave, yes, the performance art was interesting and powerful. It has been years since I have been to an event like this, I forgot that they are less intimidating when you are with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know that the guy in photos 1 and 2 is the infamous "Long-Hair Leung," the dissident lawmaker?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce, yes, I recognized him from another blog that I read, so I made a point to take and post those shots for those of you who'd know who he was. I can't say I know that much about him though, only what I know from that blog.

    ReplyDelete